Storage & Virtualisation Engineer
- Up to £55,000 + Bens
- Network Infrastructure & Support
- East Midlands
- Location Specifics:
- Brackley, Northants
- Job Type:
- Post Date:
- 24-07-2021 12:47 PM
- Ref #:
Storage & Virtualisation Engineer – Up to £55,000 + Excellent Benefits and Career Development Storage & Virtualisation Engineer (SAN’s / VMWare) required for this exciting and challenging opportunity with our client, a leader in the world of advanced automotive engineering. Based in modern offices on the Northamptonshire / Oxfordshire / Bucks border (Near Banbury, Silverstone, Northampton, Milton Keynes, Bicester, Oxford etc), the Storage & Virtualisation Engineer will be joining a high performing technology team helping to manage and improve the core platforms and services that underpin the data and virtualisation requirements for the team. This is a role that would suit someone passionate about Storage & Virtualisation wanting to be the SME in an environment that encourages collaboration, teamwork, sharing of ideas, taking ownership and maximising capabilities. Day to day workload varies with time being divided between project work, support and maintenance. Main Responsibilities Amongst Others Include;
- Being the SME / technical lead for Storage and Virtualisation services and infrastructure, owning the current and future state and providing secure, high performing, scalable services to the business (Enterprise SAN, VMWare clusters and workloads, Cloud etc.).
- Working with business areas to gather, understand, and document data requirements and provide appropriate capacity planning and life-cycle management.
- Undertaking operational activities to keep storage and virtualisation platforms operating at their best (monitoring, alerting, reporting, security, updates, standards).
- Working closely with third party vendors and team partners to make best use of capability and to maximise the investment in platforms.
- Working closely with other areas of the IT team to optimise connectivity, workloads, and use of storage and virtual platforms to enable them to achieve their own mission critical requirements (networking, HPC, data acquisition, etc.)
- Ensuring data protection, continuity, and compliance through appropriate backup and retention mechanisms to mitigate business risks.
- Proactively working to reduce operational overheads and manage complexity, eliminating technical debt and bringing automation and increased efficiency through PowerShell/Ansible or similar, infrastructure as code, and taking a business service-oriented perspective.
To be suitable for this post we would expect the right individual to have experience working in a similar Storage, Virtualisation, Infrastructure Engineers role with experience of much of the following:
- Detailed demonstrable knowledge of implementing and managing Enterprise SAN storage platforms and architectures, arrays, tiers, archiving (e.g. PURE, HPE etc.), and alternatives (PaaS/SaaS).
- Detailed demonstrable knowledge of implementing and managing VMWare hosts and clusters (to VCAP/VCIX level) including ESX/vSphere, vRealize, and underlying host infrastructure (e.g. Cisco UCS, HPE Synergy etc.)
- Detailed knowledge of the latest versions of Windows Server OS (MCSA/E Core Infrastructure level) and related workloads.
- Detailed knowledge of Linux/non-Windows client and server file systems, protocols, technology stacks and related workloads (NFS etc.).
- Experience with backup solutions (e.g. Rubrik, Cloudian, etc.).
- Experience with security best practice and requirements.
- Experience with Active Directory and associated identity management mechanisms.
- Experience with system management applications (e.g. vRealize, HP OneView HP SIM, SCOM).
- Experience with general infrastructure and datacentre technologies, DNS, DHCP, networking, and datacentre maintenance.
- Ideally, experience with containerisation and Open-Source platform alternatives (Kubernetes, OpenStack, GIT etc.).
In return you can expect a very attractive package with a salary up to £55,000 + excellent bonus and benefits including attractive car leasing scheme.